Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Obligatory First Post

The hardest part is always the beginning. There, now that's done. I can feel the writer's block ebb away slowly, and hopefully the rest will go smoothly. If you've found the site and are still reading, I think that's a good thing. Continuing to follow the blog will earn you stories and perspectives of manufacturing and building all things Eve-related, and probably the occasional post about whatever else comes to mind. I hope you visit often.

A bit about my Eve character is in order, I suppose. Kym Sorenson started her life at the tail-end of July, 2013. I guess that makes her a little more than seven months old, and aside from roughly the first month of time spent in Gallente highsec, she's dwelled in North Provi, where she's developed into a semi-competent industrialist and remains absolutely horrible at basically everything else. That's ok though, since I've always enjoyed building things more than blowing them up. Since things need to blow up in Eve to keep the wheel of the universe turning, I took that as the inspiration for the blog's title, The Burning Prairie.

For the uninitiated masses, here's the brief rundown on prairies. Tallgrass prairie is something I'm passionate about in real life, and these ecosystems are dominated by perennial grasses and wildflowers that emerge from the ground and grow to great heights in a single growing season before dying back to their root base during the harsh Midwestern winter. In order for these matrices of plants to succeed in cycle after yearly cycle, last year's growth has to be burned away in spectacular fashion, much like most of the things in Eve. Hence, The Burning Prairie. 

Anyways, back to Eve. Not much else to talk about in this first post, except to say that Kym's corp is not an industrial corp by any means, but then again it's not focused on anything, really. And that's what makes the corp special. Since I've joined we've only had two people leave the corp; one person stopped playing Eve altogether shortly thereafter, and another joined a WH corp. Otherwise, it's grown slowly but surely and shows what happens when a corp has good leadership. It's very tight-knit, and everyone does something different. There are miners, ratters, PvPers of various stripes, a market guy, some haulers, explorers, and more. And then there's Kym, the builder. 

What I like most about the manufacturing in Eve is the readily visible results. The things that exist in the game are nearly entirely player-created, and nullsec is the extreme example of that. If there is something on the market, it was either built or hauled in by somebody. Someone spent the time to do that. Ships are no different, but are probably the most visible example. When I see a Talos sitting at the jumpbridge waiting to warp to the PvP fight, or hear that the defense fleet won at the gate because of the logi pilots, I'm able to think to myself, "hey, I built those ships." And that is a very rewarding feeling for me. 

That's all for now, I'll probably post something tomorrow a bit more focused. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment